What's new
Vindictive

Register a free account today to become a member. Once you're approved, you'll able to participate on this site by adding topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox. We are not legally responsible if you're sexually harassed by Spine.

Let's talk about Age of Conan

Head-Shot

I'm going to admit it, I liked this game a lot when I tried it. Now, I didn't play it when Vindictive first went to AoC just because I didn't have a computer that could run it and I was skeptical about how good it was. So I don't know what the game was like during the "horrors" of its launch.

I did try the free trial recently though and found a pretty impressive game, graphically and contentwise. The classes were unique and the voice-overs for quests were pretty darn neat. I understand the latter dissapears after the initial start zone - I guess that's how most players were trick into thinking it was a good game from reviews - but even so, the game was fun. I liked the combat and the world was really lush and well-fleshed out (again, I hear it gets empty after the starting area).

The reason I'm posting this is because has anyone tried it recently with the new content? I've posted before how much I like the theme of AoC, because it's different from the boring, run of the mill Elves and fantasy. I like its Medditerean and African-influenced themes, which to me at least, being someone who's played MMORPGs since Everquest, is a breath of fresh air.

I'm thinking about buying the game and subscribing, and have wanted to do so for a while. Just wanted feedback since a lot of new people came here from WAR about how the game is doing now.

The last time I played it was July, right as the last of us left and came back to CoH.

I only got to level 26 so I thought the game was still fun since the content drops off right around then. I'm guessing some other members like Spine or Ivy can give you better answers though, since they got to 80.

AoC is an amazing game. &nbsp;The only reason I left AoC was only because it had a lot of bugs and the voice over were only available on "nooby island" (Tortage was it?). &nbsp;That's all probably changed now and I would definitely come back if people move to AoC. &nbsp;I love the PvP system there, I think Ivy, myself, Mike, and several others were on a free for all PvP server, meaning that you can kill anyone, anywhere, at any given time. &nbsp;Only problem with that was level 70s would stalk the 20s zones, but I think AoC implemented a penalty system for killing lowbies.<div>
</div><div>The game has a lot of diversities and pretty amazing graphics. &nbsp;The terrain and everything was pretty good, I would say that it's comparable to Aion, except Aion's character models and weapon models are better. &nbsp;Also, the combat system is unique and interactive; it requires you to press several keys inorder to execute an ability, similar to a combo system.</div>

It sounds promising to me. I couldn't look at the game site, but I scanned the wiki page. It seems a little worrisome that someone in charge of the game quit both the game production and the company because he was unhappy with it. However, if there is a general interest in playing that game I would certainly try it out. I think it makes more sense to move to a game that has most of its initial bugginess worked out when coming from a game like WAR.

The person in charge left because AoC had a huge number of people buying and playing the game for the first free month, but a big chunk of them did not resubscribe because of how buggy and unbalanced the game was. &nbsp;However, the potential is all there, all they needed to do was fix the bugs, made free for all PvP more balanced, and possibly add in more stuff to do.<div>
</div><div>Great game though, it's much more fun than Aion too just because of the diversities and skills and such. &nbsp;I'm kind of sad that everyone pretty much has the same set of skills in Aion.</div>

It was actually a good game. And that's with all the insane bugs and lack of content. I'm sure they've really improved since then though. I kind of considered going back to AoC but then I people started talking about CO and Diablo3 coming out soo...

gorbella said:
It sounds promising to me. I couldn't look at the game site, but I scanned the wiki page. It seems a little worrisome that someone in charge of the game quit both the game production and the company because he was unhappy with it. However, if there is a general interest in playing that game I would certainly try it out. I think it makes more sense to move to a game that has most of its initial bugginess worked out when coming from a game like WAR.

He not only quit, he dumped all his shares in Funcom stock:

http://vindictive.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=81268&ForumID=1197864&TabID=700172&Replies=3&TopicID=7407854

Don't get me wrong. Age of Conan is original, something WAR is not. But I'm not sure how strong the population is after the problems it had with launch. I know they just released a swath of new dungeons (including a new level 80 one called Xibuluku), but I don't think Vindictive should go back. Not unless we know if the pop is strong and if this game is still progressing well and not on life support.

Because let's face it, Warhammer is on life support as a game. Mythic just announced they have 300k subscribers, the same number they had in November when the last quarterly report came from EA.

300k from November to May. What's the big deal you ask?

WAR opened in two new markets, Russia and Korea during that time.

edit: opps, game hasn't launched in South Korea yet. Still shitty to see no growth after Christmas sales and a new market opens up.

If someone were to perhaps organize a "Let's try AoC" week I would happily tag along. Mos def.

Wow, Ivy, frooz and I all posted at the exact same time&nbsp;
face_blush.gif

Here's a Feat Builder, or skill tree, if you want to look at the different classes and their abilities:<div><span style="white-space: pre; "><span style="">http://feats.goonheim.com/</span></span>
</div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">
</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">I think you also get other skills as well as you level up, on top of the feat skills. Diversity! YAY!!</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">
</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">AoC week is a great idea! Anyone?</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">
</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">Edit: Would also like to add that the classes in AoC are completely different from any other MMoRPG's as well, which is amazing.</span></div>

.SPiNE said:
Here's a Feat Builder, or skill tree, if you want to look at the different classes and their abilities:<div><span style="white-space: pre;"><span style="">http://feats.goonheim.com/</span></span>
</div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">
</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">I think you also get other skills as well as you level up, on top of the feat skills. Diversity! YAY!!</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">
</span></div><div><span style="white-space: pre;">AoC week is a great idea! Anyone?</span>
</div>

My laptop can't run AoC, but I should be getting my new computer soon. I'd be down for an AoC week

Yay! &nbsp;Tryden's in<span>
face_plain.gif
</span><div>
</div><div>And Tryden, I think you'd really like it, since the game pretty much starts at level 40 or so. &nbsp;And there are a bunch of instances where we can quest as a group for rare drops, it's pretty intense.</div>

my awesome gaming mouse has too many awesome buttons and I awesomely just pressed the back button on my mouse and deleted the entire post that I was proof reading. Awesome, no?
the gist: AoCweekYAY. I have class starting on the 8th and thusly time contrictions, boo. timecap? levelcap?

Other pluses for those who are considering to try the game:<div>
</div><div>- Nudity! &nbsp;Just breasts though =[</div><div>- Skill tree! &nbsp;For diversity</div><div>- Full crafting! &nbsp;You can craft each and every individual gears</div><div>- A base! &nbsp;Your guild can build a base with materials that guild members gather. &nbsp;You can then raid other bases or defend your own base from other people</div><div>- And probably some other important things I don't remember</div><div>
</div><div>Frooz: &nbsp;I think level cap is 80</div>

Not gonna lie...the base grind is terrible..I hope they changed it. I know they tried to make AoC realistic but I didn't need the hours of chopping trees and picking cotton. Was interesting as a concept though.

Damn..now I want to reactivate my account...

Ivy- said:
Not gonna lie...the base grind is terrible..I hope they changed it. I know they tried to make AoC realistic but I didn't need the hours of chopping trees and picking cotton. Was interesting as a concept though.

Damn..now I want to reactivate my account...
<div>
</div><div>Me too...I wonder if ToS is still overpowered =/</div>

I was not overpowered I was nerfed halfway through the few months I played!!

How dare they reduce me to killing 20 mobs at once from 30 D:

Back