What's new
Vindictive

Register a free account today to become a member. Once you're approved, you'll able to participate on this site by adding topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox. We are not legally responsible if you're sexually harassed by Spine.

Thoughts on the new game debate

Renek

<p>So we as a guild/community have a problem; we are without a home. There have been various suggestions thrown around for where we could go but no one seems to be agreeing on much. The poll shows we are pretty split as well. So, I propose this solution, we taste-test.

LOTRO online has trial accounts, Aion was doing beta weekends, and the CO open beta starts August 17th. We can *try* each game that has been thrown out as an option (and no, EVE is not an option) instead of choosing through a poll. </p><p></p><p>So, to that end, lets set aside a weekend where we can, as a guild, try out LOTRO. We all grab trial accounts, all hop into the game together and play it as a guild. At the end of that trial period we can have a nice chat on vent or the forums about our experiences. </p><p></p><p>As for Aion, I do believe the beta weekends are now only for those who pre-ordered so if anyone has an idea on how we could try that out as a guild, I would love suggestions. The CO open beta starts August 17<sup>th</sup> and we could plan on doing something similar to what I have outlined in regard to LOTRO. </p><p></p><p>I understand the drive to get into a new MMO from the get-go and make our mark, but if Warhammer taught us anything its that we can make a name for ourselves by doing what we do best, pwning newbs. Ok, I jest, but the point remains. We don’t have to be brand new to an MMO to be the best at it. We have a lot of skilled players in this community and we can be good at whatever we put our efforts into. </p><p></p><p>The other problem with joining a freshly launched MMO is what I like to call AoC syndrome. MMOs aren’t so great at being reliable or even playable at launch. And yes I know, almost all of us are probably gonna buy SW:ToR the day it comes out but my hope is Bioware’s influence will keep the game from being to awful at launch. On the flip side of this coin, if we joined an established game such as LOTRO then there is already a community, and well-polished game, and *plenty* of content for us to get our hands on. I know, I keep harping on LOTRO, but the fact is it comes down to the process of elimination. It is the only major MMO (aside from Guild Wars, but I never liked it and no one here has ever mentioned it) that we haven’t really given a shot. </p><p></p><p></p><p>So, this is my thought process and I feel it would be a good compromise so that everyone can see and play the games were talking about and allow us, as a guild, to make a more informed choice about our next great adventure. If we get a generally good reaction from people, then I will tentatively set the date for Friday, July 17<sup>th</sup> as the start of our play week with LOTRO. If this isn’t enough time to plan this, then we can push it off until next weekend. </p>

Keep in mind with LOTRO it can be a 12 gig download.
So you might want to start downloading the trial now for all the people with a slow connection.

I like the idea about testing things. But we are talking about X amount of Gigs that people have to download. And to me it's nothing but then you have the people that have a slow connection and dont want to waste their time and bandwidth ;(

Well there is also:
Lineage 2
Everquest 2
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Ragnarok

Just to toss a few established ones out there.

The thing about a brand new MMO is that you can explore the area find things that no-one else has found yet. And there are no elites that say YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS WAY...

One of the assumed barriers of entry to any MMO is a decent internet connection. I understand people have to download a game but I view that problem in the same light as if someone needs a car to drive to buy the game. Sure, the games are big, in other news water is wet. If we can give people enough notice before hand, it shouldn't be to much of an issue. As for the games you listed, sure, we could throw those on the schedule if there is enough interest. I just picked the top three MMOs that were being kicked around as possible alternatives. So now that you have both commented on this post, would you have any interest in these "taste-tests"?

In the other thread I already opted out of Lotr because to me it just felt like another WoW/WAR game. But besides that im cool for testing games. And yes I do agree with the download part. I just said that to avoid the whole "I just downloaded for 718905180days for this crap... blah blah blah" threads =p

Im signed up for all the betas for all the new mmo's coming out. A friend in japan already signed me up for the dragon ball mmo xD

I would just like to narrow down the list of games because we have a lot of people in this guild that are like flags they dont have an opinion but will go where the wind blows. So far we have not had any major input regarding the new games subject besides from the usual people that actually check the forums. (or live in it .. spine)

There were atleast 20games sugested but there is no real feedback. Everyone is just like "I will do what everyone else does" erm ...excuse me? how will we decide if people are leaving the call to people that cant decide on their own.

Regarding the test thing I would say take it up to the next level and do like a XXXXXXX weekend where we try the game as a guild to see how it is. Just need to plan it in advance due to "xxxx gigs" to download. Come on people wake up the break is over show some initiative here!

here is another one and its free =p http://eso.perfectworld.com/ad/

Edit* Do we actually have a count on active members at the moment? Havent heard or seen or anything from a lot of people in a while. I keep getting told that it's summer and it happens all the time. But is it too much to drop in a "im still alive" message? I dont want to jump in to a game with 4 active people and the rest is MIA

Renek said:
So, to that end, lets set aside a weekend where we can, as a guild, tryout LOTRO. We all grab trial accounts, all hop into the game togetherand play it as a guild. At the end of that trial period we can have anice chat on vent or the forums about our experiences.

Ash said:
Regarding the test thing I would say take it up to the next level anddo like a XXXXXXX weekend where we try the game as a guild to see howit is. Just need to plan it in advance due to "xxxx gigs" to download.

We are clearly on the same page, :-D As for initiative, that 'tis what I am attempting.

Already expressed my views on games but heres a short run down

Champions Online: Never going to buy this/try it. Im done with super hero games.
Aion: Didnt care for it, however from everything else listed, is my second option.
LOTRO: Currently playing the trial already, wouldn't mind playing it till SW:TOR comes out.. My first option.
Lineage 2: i'd try the trial.
Everquest 2: Sony Online Entertainment? no thanks.
Pirates of the Burning Sea: Sony Online Entertainment? no thanks.

Theres also:

Dungeons and Dragons Online: (Basically reskinned LOTRO) Free to play in August/September.

How about this weekend 17-19th Lotr weekend the 24-26th Lineage2 then 7-9th someone else needs to come up with something (getting married that weekend =p )then we plan from there. just a quick draft

I personally like the idea overall.  The only flaw I see is that I myself am not one for 'loot' games.  I was barely able to work past this in WAR until the end-game dungeons bullshit.  "No, Mr. MMO Subscriber, you may NOT enjoy playing this game you pay for unless you rigidly adhere to how we have outlined everything you MUST do!"  I <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); ;">HATE</span> loot games...<div>
</div><div>BUT!  I can deal if we honestly just have fun.  I'm currently trialing LoTRO but... I'm not really liking the character model art.  I picked an elf something-or-another and no matter which face I looked at he looked like he was 14 years old.  As far as the game-play of LoTRO...  slooooooooow.  I hit a button and it takes like three weeks for the animation to pop off.  Obviously I'm exagerating but I'm not so keen on the combat nor the reliance on loot to make the character.</div><div>
</div><div>If I personally do go with another fantasy game I think it should be fast paced like Aion or something where I can punch people.  Yes, I want to be a Shao-lin Monk, ninja, w/e and scream while punching people's faces inside-out.  THUSLY, I think EQ2 would be an interesting idea.  I played a Monk back in EQ1 and I never gave EQ2 a serious try because I never had anyone to really play with.</div><div>
</div><div>Lastly, I prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy most of the time.  Modern era stuff like City of Heroes and Champions does take my fancy.  History and ancient civilizations are my field of expertise and I cringe absolutely distaste when a developer tries to emulate some part of history but like they only read a wikipedia article written by a middle-schooler.  That very thing is actually one of the reasons why I liked WAR is because the Empire's lore is pretty interesting for me.  The rest of the entire Warhammer storyline is rubbish but at least the Empire looks like a decently transplanted Holy Roman Empire shoved into a demon infested Europe.  I also have to believe the anthropological premises of Science Fiction cultures and civilizations too but its far easier for me suspend my disbelief.</div><div>
</div><div>Aion is very interesting because they mix Scandanavian, Greco-Roman and Judaic mythologies with Asian themes and settings very well that creates a very intriguing world to interact with.  Also, I liked the way it played and the stories.  It had a very nice modern wuxia sentiment as well.</div><div>
</div><div>TL; DR version:  I'll give Aion and EQ2 a good go and I like the idea of organised guild trials.</div>

masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>Aion is very interesting because they mix Scandanavian, Greco-Roman and Judaic mythologies with Asian themes and settings very well that creates a very intriguing world to interact with.
</div><div>
</div>

I say this in the nicest way possible, with no ill intent.

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

Malietha Lavode said:
masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>Aion is very interesting because they mix Scandanavian, Greco-Roman and Judaic mythologies with Asian themes and settings very well that creates a very intriguing world to interact with.
</div><div>
</div>

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

Welcome to Vindictive, yo.

Malietha Lavode said:
masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>
</div>

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

LMAO... no a nerd is when you can explain what the matrix and starwars have in common

Ashelia01 said:
Malietha Lavode said:
masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>
</div>

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

LMAO... no a nerd is when you can explain what the matrix and starwars have in common
<div>
</div><div>Well, aside from the obvious Hero Archetype and subsequent story (ala Joseph Campbell's works) there's also the breaking from the oppressive but 'legitimate' and entrenched powers and their dark shadowy overseers.  This isn't so different (at least in this regard) from the distopian classics such as 1984 or Equilibrium.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, Luke/Neo have a break from not only their Shadows (Vader/Smith) but both resemble a dark father/authoritative figure.  On top of that, they integrate very interestingly with their Shadows with Neo LITERALLY integrating with Smith at the end of the first and third movies.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, also, both movie franchises utilized special effects and cinematic methods that became the standard for contemporaries.</div>

masterjedijared said:
Ashelia01 said:
Malietha Lavode said:
masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>
</div>

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

<div>
</div><div>Well, aside from the obvious Hero Archetype and subsequent story (ala Joseph Campbell's works) there's also the breaking from the oppressive but 'legitimate' and entrenched powers and their dark shadowy overseers. &nbsp;This isn't so different (at least in this regard) from the distopian classics such as 1984 or Equilibrium.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, Luke/Neo have a break from not only their Shadows (Vader/Smith) but both resemble a dark father/authoritative figure. &nbsp;On top of that, they integrate very interestingly with their Shadows with Neo LITERALLY integrating with Smith at the end of the first and third movies.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, also, both movie franchises utilized special effects and cinematic methods that became the standard for contemporaries.
</div>

They also ignore physics, albiet the Matrix writes it off as manipulating the coding of the Matrix.

Aemon Algiz said:
masterjedijared said:
Ashelia01 said:
Malietha Lavode said:
masterjedijared said:
<div>
</div><div>
</div>

You, sir, are a nerd.

Thank you.

<div>
</div><div>Well, aside from the obvious Hero Archetype and subsequent story (ala Joseph Campbell's works) there's also the breaking from the oppressive but 'legitimate' and entrenched powers and their dark shadowy overseers. &nbsp;This isn't so different (at least in this regard) from the distopian classics such as 1984 or Equilibrium.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, Luke/Neo have a break from not only their Shadows (Vader/Smith) but both resemble a dark father/authoritative figure. &nbsp;On top of that, they integrate very interestingly with their Shadows with Neo LITERALLY integrating with Smith at the end of the first and third movies.</div><div>
</div><div>Also, also, both movie franchises utilized special effects and cinematic methods that became the standard for contemporaries.
</div>

They also ignore physics, albiet the Matrix writes it off as manipulating the coding of the Matrix.

Sure but the main thing is that it is made after certain books of the bible o_o

Well since the Bible is fashioned after crude attempts to mimick the Hero's Journey and archaic cultural anecdotes I would take the anthropological approach to be more meaningful.

Back