What's new
Vindictive

Register a free account today to become a member. Once you're approved, you'll able to participate on this site by adding topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox. We are not legally responsible if you're sexually harassed by Spine.

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Dark Legion versus Vindictive

Tryden

Administrator
Staff member
If you missed the last one, here's my previous Throwback Thursday: http://vindictiveonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3627

Seven years ago, we challenged one of the best PvP villain groups on Protector to a base raid. What followed was a huge drama-laden shitshow. There was always a big rift in CoH between PvPers and PvErs. Dark Legion, the VG we were fighting, was full of some of the more vocal anti-PvE players. It was also filled with a lot of assholes.

By that point we had been base raiding for less than a year and had gotten pretty decent at it. The leader of Dark Legion heard we were an active base raid group and messaged me to set something up. I agreed to it. Here's a link to the original thread I made back in 2006 about the raid:

http://vindictiveonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=151&p=1262&hilit=dark+legion#p1262

Dark Legion's claim to fame at the time was that they were supposedly undefeated. The number they trumpeted when we fought them was they had done 50 attacks and defenses and won every single one. They were 50-0.

The raid started off with us attacking their base. We had 16 on our side and they had 12 on theirs. I remember the attack being incredibly frustrating, mainly because they were a lot more skilled than we were. We died a lot and couldn't destroy all their Anchors (bases in CoH had 6 Anchors and you had to destroy five of them to win a base raid before the time was up).

Anyway, they kicked our shit in. I remember being on vent trying to remain calm and talk everyone into better spirits. WE'LL GET THEM BACK ON THE DEFENSE I said. Well, we did. But how we did was actually pretty classless. We basically spawn camped them as soon as they zoned into our base. They called us out on it and said really nasty stuff to us in broadcast. I told everyone not to reply to them because we had a rule not to shit talk in broadcast. But a couple of Vindictive members broke that rule to talk shit. It was really ugly.

You can see the results from the defense below. You can also make out the top two scores for Dark Legion, which shows how many kills they had on the left and how many times they died on the right. We obviously crushed them. On top of spawn camping, we set up a "rape room," where we teleported Dark Legion's Corruptors by themselves to get them away from their main group. Corrs were the buffers and debuffers in CoV, so separating them from the group made DL's raid team vulnerable. Their Corrs were one of the main reasons we got our asses handed to us on the attack. We unfortunately had few Corrs and all of theirs made our attacks useless.

I learned a lot from this raid about strategy. It was the beginning of our undefeated phase and I started emphasizing making Corrs and running a lot of buffs/debuffs. I also started dissuading people from making melee toons and everyone who was here in CoH probably remembers how much we made fun of brutes and stalkers. This raid was the origin of that.

Anyway, two years later, we would raid Ministry of Darkness, a new PvP VG that was a spin off of Dark Legion. That raid resulted in a lot of drama as well, but it was also payback for what happened in this raid. We crushed them on both the attack and defense. But I shall share that story in a future Throwback Thursday. ^__^

Here's the original post from 2006:

Dark Legion versus Vindictive
Added 9/25/2006 1:23 PM by Lord Tryden

Thanks to Dark Legion for a great raid night. They were very effective during the defense, and were able to hold us off even though we had a few more. We again outnumbered them on the defense, but this time it was our turn to hold them off. Remember guys, when IOPs come out, there will be no such thing as even numbers. Vindictive will never have a problem fielding 16 fighters to protect the base at any given time. Great job everyone, especially Gespinte, who took honours for the night with 19 kills.

screenshot_2006-09-24-23-09-13_1.jpg

LostElric said:
It's a real shame IOPs never really became a thing.

Yeah, it is. I never got a chance to do Cathedral of Pain before they yanked it. :(

So, I got some details in the post above wrong. One of our members messaged me and set some things straight. So I corrected and expanded on the summary above.

Here's a list of what I got wrong:

• • Dark Legion wasn't a zerg VG, they were considered one of the best PvP VGs.
  • • Their big claim to fame was being 50-0 before we raided them. We ended that. :mrgreen:
  • • They actually severely kicked our ass on the attack. It was humiliating.

I think I was in that raid as Neiji. Pretty sure it was my healer, I must have KS'd someone to get those 2 kills.

Coldchylde said:
I think I was in that raid as Neiji. Pretty sure it was my healer, I must have KS'd someone to get those 2 kills.

That is indeed your healer. I think you brought your stalker to the attack, but on the defense I was like EVERYONE BRING YOUR CORRS IF YOU HAVE THEM.

.SPiNE said:
Rofl, is that your Super Reflex Stalker, Tryden? LOLLLLLZZZ

I was actually playing Stomp's stalker since he couldn't make it. This raid was before the buff to domination, so Dominators were underpowered. =/

Coldchylde said:

Most deaths in raid, yep definitely Genma

Back