What's new
Vindictive

Register a free account today to become a member. Once you're approved, you'll able to participate on this site by adding topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox. We are not legally responsible if you're sexually harassed by Spine.

War review from the EU

Ashelia01

This comes from one of the bigger EU Warhammer blog sites:

Iwrote a few weeks ago that i switched my subscription method tomanually and would check every month if I still had fun. Mysubscription runs out in a few days and i <span style="font-weight: bold;">decided not to renew my subscription for WAR</span>.During the last break i took from WAR my subscription had still beenactive and i was paying, but i feel it's time to vote with my money nowand tell I'm not satisfied, I'm bored of WAR. I'm not the guy thatplays a gazillion alts, i want to play my main char. Recently when ilogged in there was very little to do. More often then i had fun i wassimply bored because there is not much you can do during idle hours orwhen everyone else is busy. I know I'm not alone, since when i postedmy leaving there had been a few other guild members who won't reneweither.

The <span style="font-weight: bold;">current "endgame" in WAR</span>,once you reached a certain threshold, just holds not enough fun for mecurrently. I don't want to make this a huge wall of text, but to giveyou a few quick bullet points:
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> No <span style="font-weight: bold;">solo content for high levels</span>,nothing to work on during idle hours, crafting system is too simple,only few mats you need to work on your crafting and basicly everyonecan craft anything anyway.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> The whole <span style="font-weight: bold;">RvR campaign</span>does not make me feel part of a WAR between factions that much. Thesystem is too constructed to immerse me. For all the numbers you needto watch its too simple on the other hand.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">Small scale PvP</span>is what i want most, not the zerg. Due to the guild keeps not reallyoffering anything for the guild to hang around those and the overallRvR lake zone design, very seldom will you have cool small scalefights, or you have to search for a long time.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> The <span style="font-weight: bold;">RR system</span>overall just feels like a massive grind to me, only to be able to weareg. Warlord gear. The renown trainer features only add minor incentive.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">City sieges</span>as "end game" for RvR are a joke. It's boring as hell, still buggy andjust not polished enough. Takes place every now and then but ppl justgot bored to have to put such a massive effort in something thats sounrewarding.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> No real incentive for <span style="font-weight: bold;">high ranking guilds</span>to take part in the world struggle or to really take and defend a keep.The possible upgrades need to make that keep the headquarter for thatguild, easy access, etc. After guild rank 37 with the upgraded mounts,nothing else exciting to gain.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">PvE endgame</span>is borked as well. All of us are totally bored from Lost Vale sinceonly few really need the gear from there. The change to the ward/sigilsystem was good, but there is just too few things left in that dungeonto make you want to go there. Should really have added some craftingcomponents or something. Besides LV there is only LotD content. Problemwith this is, you can't really schedule for it as you dont know if youhave access. So basicly to run TotVL you have to keep in mind you mightneed to do RvR before you can do PvE. The LotD lairs are fun, but theglyph requirement is just a giant timesink and doing the same boringPQs over and over again just because one group member is lacking thisor that glyph.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> The <span style="font-weight: bold;">itemization </span>departmentstill has major annoyances to iron out. The high-end sets and theirstats don't feel right (at least for BO) in comparison. Many talismansfrom LotD still not working, overall timers broken.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">#</span> <span style="font-weight: bold;">Black Orcs</span>:I love the BO, its fun to play. Tho i don't feel like the defensivetank spec is rewarding enough for PvP. I don't want to respecc everytime depending if i go PvE or PvP. I already use a silence, slow down,increase building times build with fitting gear (remove morale, lowerresist, etc.) for RvR but still i think the overall design lacks.Mythic really should re-work the CC and give eg. defensive tanks someof it. I was very disappointed when Mythic gave a ton of cool armormodels to the Choppa and my BO stuff still looks like shit. Seriously,there are only very few cool looking items for the Black Orc i feel.Due to the simple color scheme Orcs use, you can't really work aroundit with dyes either.

Idon't agree with those that say WAR is doomed to fail. They failed increating a game that will run with major subscriber number compared toother games (and could have reached much higher targets) and its alwaysharder to win back a disappointed customer then keep a satisfied one.In the topic i name my absence from WAR a break, this is simply becausei still think i might get back once things are to my liking. Since idon't think WAR is a bad game, but just the devs did not listen to theright crowd of voices and did not make tough enough decisions to "killtheir darlings" when it comes to class balance and RvR. The upcomingmonths will show if Mythic will be able to make the though choicesnecessary or not. I had a lot of fun in WAR and don't regret the time ispend ingame. It was a good ride until i got bored.

I'm still a bit bitter about the <span style="font-weight: bold;">difference between US and EU support</span>.IMO GOA never managed to live up to their promises and Mythic & GOAtogether managed to leave a bad aftertaste since they really pissed offmany EU customers that felt left out of the development process. GOAnever really came around to create much content on their own, deliversimilar marketing programs or to breath life into the EU forums. The EUveteran program is a good step in the right direction, but too late andtoo little to make me feel like getting the same level of support andcare then the US customers do. I'd like to thank Nic & Magnus fromthe GOA Community Team tho, who were always forthcoming withinformation.

Back